Sunday, December 6, 2009

Wasted Sundays...

Confucius once said: "Live as if you're going to die tomorrow, learn as if you're going to live forever" I bet once in a while he got bored, not just for a minute or an hour... but for a day. =)

I actually like that particular quote, I would like to live and learn like what the quote said but lets face it, its not the hardest thing to do but its not the simplest. It is said that man creates his own destiny, that one is actually from Homer, so we therefore dictate the flow of life, ours to be more exact. We can make it active or boring, colorful to dull, but the thing is, like Newton once said in his Principia Mathematica "Every body continues in its state of rest, or of uniform motion in a right line, unless it is compelled to change that state by forces impressed upon it."

Sunday is one of the most boring days, in fact, in some religions, Sundays are rest days. Like every person in the world, I don't wanna wake up early during Sundays, for heaven sake its the only day in my present life where I can drift away aimlessly in my dreams even if it is the morning. Once the alarm phone begins to produce that awful obnoxious sound, just imagine, you were dreaming something good, if not amazing, then someone pulls you out of unconsciousness and you wake up into reality. The sun shines brightly at your face, as if saying wake up you lazy bastard. Like any other idiot in this corporate world, you raise your whole body like a zombie, scratches one's head, remove some obstructions in your eyes (muta as we call them), yawn a little, then do what it is you do after this somewhat mandatory ritual.

A priest asked me once, do you pray in the morning? I don't recall actually that I pray in the morning. We were taught by our parents, teachers, or some teenager who's going to be a nun or priest in the future that you should pray in the morning. During the elementary days of my life (one of the most exciting periods of my life) I tried to pray in the morning. The day came where I promise to pray, and so it happens. After a good battle of rolling in my bed like I'm the in grasslands of Austria, I fell from my bed like a log being thrown into the river, the sad part is that when I fell I manage to hit my arinola and spilled my urine all over the floor and myself. Mind you, at this point I know how to swear but since its the beginning of the day, I don't wanna start the day screaming putang ina. So it was, I was reaking with my own urine that I rush down in the bathroom for an early bath... in my dismay my mom didn't put any soap so I had to run naked in the storage closet to get some soap. Then just as I was about to take a bath, there was no water. From that point on, I stop trying to pray in the morning.

High school retreats are overrated in my opinion. A good wasted Sunday during a particular retreat really got me the whole day wasted with laziness. It was a fourth year retreat in Don Bosco Bato-lao, we were in the boys barracks sleeping like laidback pigs. I was busy minding my sleep because of a very tiring yet somewhat awkward night before then suddenly a flash awoken me, and to my dismay it was a flash from a camera. My first souvenir is a picture of me bluntly sleeping, mouth agaped, and in some sleeping position that god knows how I get myself into that position. The rest of the morning went like a routine, bath and breakfast and all. I remember a particular seat near the cliff, the seat where I usually sit during those retreating times, I went there with a special someone, we sat there staring at the vastness of the landscape. Just as things are getting cozy, my friends came like mosquitos biting one's legs and they caused an awful amount of noise that it startled a dog sleeping near us which pissed the dog so we were forced to vacate the seat. Damn those guys. Lunch came like it was nothing, I can't remember what we particularly eat. I spent my day in the hammock day dreaming about the future, more on my retirement to be more exact (too early to think about that, but hey, its my life!).

Going back to these memories of wasted sundays, I sometimes think that Sundays are designed to be the most lazy day. For me anyway. There's nothing profoud nor unusual about it... its just a typical day of sleeping pleasure... or was it? =)

No comments:

Post a Comment